Bolesławiec has been twinned with Pirna since 1980. First established in 1201, Bolesławiec lies in the northwestern part of Lower Silesia. With around 40,000 inhabitants and a restored historic centre, the district town lies on the Biebrza river, a tributary of the Oder which starts in the nearby Krkonoše mountains.
The minerals found in the surrounding area, such as clay, kaolin and glass sand, as well as its location on an age-old trading route leading through Poland to Bohemia and Germany, meant that it had thriving craft and trade as early as in the Middle Ages. Since the 15th century, the pottery trade has seen particular growth and the art of ceramics still shapes the town’s economy today. This can be seen in the town’s pottery museum and the Bolesławiec pottery festival which takes place every August and is known across the nation.
|1980||Pirna and Bolesławiec sign their certificate of friendship|
|1998||Pirna and Bolesławiec renew their twin town status|
|2000||Delegation visit from Pirna to celebrate the 20-year anniversary of the towns being twinned|
|2001||A Pirna delegation takes part in an official function to celebrate 750 years of Bolesławiec|
|2010||On the 30-year anniversary of the partnership, Bolesławiec puts on an exhibition in Pirna|
|2015||35-year anniversary of the partnership|
|2015||Artists from Bolesławiec are part of the Pirna Skulpturensommer (“Summer of Sculptures”)|
|2018||Exchange on the topic of “youth parliament” with the youth council from Bolesławiec|